Skip to main content

Featured

Unveiling the Truth: TAMALE - The Presence of Tamil Influence

  History of Tamale; Presence of Tamil Influence by Tamil Food History Unveiling the Truth: TAMALE - The Presence of Tamil Influence If you have big dreams about traveling around the world but you are someone who always love eating Tamil food, chances are less that you will find restaurants that serves Tamil food to satisfy your cravings. So...what to do? A historian, Tamil researcher and a writer Dr.  ஒரிசா   பாலு  (Dr. Orissa Balu) suggests going to a Mexican Restaurant instead.  Here you can sit down and fully enjoy the combination dishes most visibly and tastefully similar to our Tamil food in different names.  For example: You will find soru (rice), murungai (moringa), karamani (black eyed beans), chicken kuzhambu (mole), chutney (salsa), Thengai Barfi (Cocados), Kadala Mittai (Palanquetaa de Cacahuate - simply Mexican Peanut Candy) and most importantly ‘wraps’ wrapping meat and vegetables steamed until cooked. One such wrapped ancient food is TAMALE. Not just the name alone has t

What did you think was part of girl's Puberty but really something else?

What happens when a girl hits puberty? 

Generally most of us think about the pain, physical and emotional changes, stress, pimples etc etc. but for a Tamil born girl, it is a fantastic journey to kick start with a beautiful ceremony called Manjal Neerattu Vizha (Turmeric Bathing Ceremony aka Puberty Ceremony) where the young girl is treated like a princess for 13 days. 

I am so excited and happy to share the highlights of my Manjal Neerattu Vizha (Puberty Ceremony).

Since I was brought up in a city, my puberty function is a semi-traditional version. The traditional ceremony is much exciting one. Though I did not experience the authentic traditional version I am much happy with the below. Thanks a lot to my parents for making this happen.

On the first day when I announced to my parents, I was not isolated (traditionally the young girl is isolated in a room surrounded by a sheets of neem leaves - the purpose of disinfection and to reduce the room temperature). My family first announced the good news to my grand parents, then my relatives, neighborhood and close-knit friends. As I said earlier, I was treated like a princess, my family took care of my needs. Food, water, dress and even I was offered an opportunity to wash my hands in the plate I ate :-D  

My family made sure that I drank enough water and eat some of that amazing food I chose. I was chilling out and enjoying the way I was treated.

In the evening, women then gathered around me for the ritual bathing. In a bronze container, they mixed warm water with hand-ground turmeric paste, rose petals, neem pulp. The water is gently poured all over me using a bronze plate with small holes (picture shown below). This cleansing shower feels like absolute heaven.         
          
Buy Exotic India Sahasradhara Abhisheka Plate (Sieve) - Copper ...


After this shower, I wore my first saree in my life 😍 Getting ready is my most favorite part, as you may have seen in movies, princess offered all the help by her helpers to get ready. Exactly similar to that, my aunties took the responsibility for the big day. I wore the finest silk saree, gold jewellery and a red rose garland. A group of 15 women, applied turmeric paste mixed with rose water to my cheeks and hands. At the end of this ceremony, guests were offered delicious foods. 

This princess treatment lasted for 13 days. Then, there was another ritual called "Punya Dhanam" in which a Homam (Homam is a ritual where offerings are made into a sacred fire) is performed. I sat in front of the sacred fire, prayers are said, performed the rituals as directed. The purpose of this ceremony is celebrating the young girl (Me) as goddess, now the woman who has the ability to give life. At the end, the invited guests are offered with yummy feast. After this ceremony, I was allowed resume back to my normal life meaning "No more princess treatment" :-(

Three months later, a big party is thrown called the "Manjal Neeratu Vizha" (Turmeric Bathing Ceremony). This festival is a huge expense. This time thousands of guests are invited and the whole ceremony takes the shape of a mini version of wedding. The ceremony took place in a big hall (engagement hall) in my city. Traditional Musicians are hired, playing in the back of the hall. 

I was gifted with silk saree, gold jewellery and a flower garland from my maternal uncle. I was dressed like a bride with silk and gold threaded saree. The photo-shoot session is much funnier and exciting - variety of shots in a variety of poses, your best angles are discovered. The guests presented their gifts to me, the moments with each family are captured to make a huge beautiful photo album. 

The ceremony lasted for 3-4 hours and finally my favorite part - the special feast. In most of the puberty ceremonies, the food is vegetarian. Since I was the first born to my parents, they decided something more special - It was Mutton (Lamb) Biriyani, Mutton Gravy and Curd Salad. In a large dining room where the invitees are accommodated to sit and eat their meal. Friends and family members were serving to the guests. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience the semi-traditional version of Manjal Neeratu Vizha. Thanks to my Amma and Appa.

Comments

Popular Posts